[Gnu-arch-users] Re: towards standards specifications

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: towards standards specifications
Date: 28 Aug 2003 18:24:13 +0900

Andrew Suffield <address@hidden> writes:
> > Of course whether it's worth the effort to do the above, I don't know...
> > It might make Robert Collins' `pure-merge' stuff a lot more efficient
> > (I think that can be done with only log-file changes).
>
> This was the technique with which pure merges were originally intended
> to be used. That's where the name comes from - you take a "pure"
> changeset from another branch and stuff it into your own, without
> modifying it (or at least, no more than you have to).

It's the `no more than you have to' point that seems the stickler,
though.  Tom's remark that that nothing should be getting commited
except completely clean (heh, `pure') changesets seems like a good
reason not to try this optimization...

-MIles
--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?