Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: future of the wiki

From: Tobias C. Rittweiler
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: future of the wiki
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:25:07 +0200

On Thursday, August 28, 2003 at 7:32:42 AM,
    Zack Brown <address@hidden> wrote:

> Wiki's suffer from the problem that they tend to be extremely disorganized. I
> found it almost impossible to get anything useful from the Wiki. I think a
> focused, well organized web page requires that people be able to do lots of
> reorganization very quickly, as need dictates.

I strongly agree with you on its need of a dictatorship, but I don't
think that reorganization need to be performed in such big amounts.

For a successfull wiki, someone must create a first draft of a framework
which is simple enough that it's kept in even in the long run. Once
that's done it's necessary to pack out the whip for showing people where
to go. When the majority of the herd is urged into the right direction,
the other people will automatically follow the herd.

> Better than a Wiki would be just a tarball of the web site, and let
> people submit patches by email, like olden times. That's simple enough
> and familiary to all.

It wouldn't be simple, and it wouldn't work very well either. The payload
that approach would require is just too high, ie. it'd restrain too many
volunteers.

Wikis are designed for holding this payload low, and they're doing that
quite well, IMHO.

> Personally, I'd prefer to use arch, but almost anything would be better
> than a Wiki, IMO.

Maybe you're just constrained by the bad emotions you made with the wiki
of arch. :-)

-- tcr (address@hidden)  ``Ho chresim'eidos uch ho poll'eidos sophos''