Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: future of the wiki

From: Damien Elmes
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: future of the wiki
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:45:18 +1000

"Tobias C. Rittweiler" <address@hidden> writes:

> Maybe you're just constrained by the bad emotions you made with the wiki
> of arch. :-)

Basically for a wiki to be successful, it needs "editors" which do the
job of keeping content organised. I don't think anyone really had the
energy to do that with the arch wiki, so it stagnated. There are some
quite successful wikis which demonstrate the virtues of the medium,
however - consider emacswiki.org and wikipedia.org among others.

I agree that reorganising pages can be cumbersome on most wiki
implementations - but I suspect that is not where the majority of the
work lies. The majority of the work is in contribution of new pages,
and editing of existing ones - and this is where an arch repository
would present a significant barrier of entry compared to simply
clicking "edit this page" at the bottom of the page you're reading.

Cheers,
--
Damien Elmes