Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: future of the wiki

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: future of the wiki
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:19:39 -0400

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 02:07:40PM -0400, Talli Somekh wrote:
> that being said, i suppose the question is where does the community
> want to drive users? to the wiki or to the savannah page? what kind of
> information will the homepage/wiki contain in the future?

I must say that I always found the original arch wiki page very hard to use
(I could never find what I was looking for!), and much prefer Tom's `low
budget page` -- it's focused, to the point, and useful.

I suppose it's probably more of a cultural thing that a technical one, but
this seems to actually be common problem with wikis I've seen: they seem so
intent on trying to categorize things that as a result they end up seeming
maddeningly unfocused, and force the user to navigate tons of pages before
finding the info they want.

So while I the idea of community-maintained web pages, I cringe at the
thought of the home page being a wiki.

Maybe Tom's idea of just using arch as a database for the web site would be
an interesting experiment (though again, since the `problem' with wikis that
I'm complaining about doesn't really seem to be a technical one, maybe all
that would be needed would be someone to spend a bit of effort on initial
design and later maintenance).

-Miles
--
Run away!  Run away!