Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: today's merges

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: today's merges
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:48:07 +0100

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 08:17:08PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 05:18:57PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
> >     > As somewhat of a newcomer to Arch, can I ask how different your tree
> >     > is from tla 1.0.6 and how frequently releases are made?
> >
> > For most users, I'd recommend using the 1.1preX series in favor of
> > 1.0.X.
>
> Thanks for your quick responsiveness, Tom.  I'm using the Debian package and
> have forwarded your message to the Debian maintainer of tla, asking him to
> bump it to 1.1.  May I ask if there is a list somewhere of the major changes
> from 1.0 to 1.1?

I'm not going with 1.1 just yet because the 1.1pre releases tend to
have a fair few bugs, and I don't have time to sift all the patches
applying those which fix signficant issues. 1.0 is limited, but
_works_, and to the best of my knowledge has no significant issues in
the latest Debian release.

There are significant advantages to 1.1, but it just isn't "stable"
enough to go in the archive - you kinda want to update it fairly
often. Hence the daily builds.

> > 1.1pre5 (see regexps.srparish.net/www) is the latest release.  (There
> > seems to be some difficulty, all of the sudden, getting the latest
> > release uploaded to ftp.gnu.org)
>
> Perhaps related to the compromise of that server?

Almost certainly so, given the security policy changes that went in
immediately afterwards.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |