[Gnu-arch-users] Re: fixing and extending "selected commit"

From: Stig Brautaset
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: fixing and extending "selected commit"
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:20:18 +0100

On Oct 01 2003, Miles wrote:
> Jan Hudec <address@hidden> writes:
> > > 3.b More generally, we need to nail down the mechanism that computes
> > >     "selected" views of the ORIG and MOD trees, and what counts as an
> > >     error.
> >
> > I think following should work and not get too hard to do: First check
> > for renames across the limit boundary (and probably consider them user
> > error)
>
> As a practical matter, I don't want renames across boundaries to be an
> error, I'd like the presence of either half of a rename inside a limit
> to automatically include the other half.
>
> It's very natural to do:
>
>     mv OLD NEW
>     tla commit -- NEW

The way I see it, to safely allow renaming a directory (or file, for
that matter) arch will have to take into consideration not just the two
limited trees, but the full base revision and the limited tree of the
revision that is committed. Otherwise, consider what would happen in
this case:

 o source contains these directories:

        foo/
        bar/
        quux/

 o someone performs this sequence of operations:

        % mv foo baz
        % mv bar foo
        % tla commit -- foo

what happens now?