Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: named patches, patch order, patch queue manager

From: Tobias C. Rittweiler
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: named patches, patch order, patch queue manager (was: the infinite thread)
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 14:44:13 +0200

On Tuesday, September 30, 2003 at 9:14:56 PM,
    Davide Libenzi <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Tom Lord wrote:
>
> [...] So I agree that named patches are handy -- I just wonder if
> they aren't best seen as a layer _over_ arch. [...]
>
> What about something like virtual patches ? Example :
>
> [...]
>
> A fetch of "sched-fix-starvation" from the maintainer will trigger
> fetching the list of patches. [...]

Your virtual patches are, essentially, exactly what Tom sees as `named
patches' AFAICS.

So you see, your request about named patches has got confirmation to
be useful, but nevertheless the quoted part of Tom's mail indicate
(rightfully, IMHO) that you won't find this feature in tla as it's
really something which should be put on top of arch.

Best is you wait until Andrew finishes his draft about the patch queue
manager which this named patch thingy can be a part of. Or if you can't
wait, code yourself... :-)

-- tcr (address@hidden)  ``Ho chresim'eidos uch ho poll'eidos sophos''