Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: named patches, patch order, patch queue manager

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: named patches, patch order, patch queue manager
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 16:03:35 +0100

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 11:07:13PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> The one thing that bothers me is namespace pollution -- sure I can use
> naming conventions to avoid gross conflicts (e.g., call all my `named
> patches' something like CAT--patch-NAME--0), but having a flat namespace
> for all branch names might be a bit annoying after a while, e.g., when
> looking at abrowse output, you'd see every single named patch,
> regardless of whether obsolete or not, and for some of the major linux
> hackers, there'd be _many_ such patches.

Sounds like you want a better browsing mechanism. Heirarchial
namespaces are popular and familiar, although some people loudly
proclaim that freeform graphs are the way of the future (Microsoft
seem to have signed on to this view).

It may be interesting to invent a heirarchial naming convention for
branches and a tool which can browse it. Alternatively an external
index can be used, allowing anything you like.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |