[Gnu-arch-users] Re: named patches, patch order, patch queue manager

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: named patches, patch order, patch queue manager
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:39:12 -0400

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 06:29:59PM +0200, Pau Aliagas wrote:
> > > Why not have 2 repos?
> >
> > Because you want the branches to move between the two namespaces; you can't
> > do that with 2 archives, unless you modify the archive (generally a no-no).
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds as something desirable:
> -a trash archive for your "hacks" and "patch-pools"
> -a refined archive where you show only the "exportable results"
>
> You can even have both publically available for the sack of completion.
> I see no difference of merging with other people's archives.

The point is _not_ to save other people from seeing your `trash,' the point
is to make your _own_ archive be manageable for your own use -- if you've got
1500 branches in it, it may not be.

Rapid archive archive cycling may be a possible solution, but a potentially
annoying one -- the overhead associated with archive cycling (i.e., make sure
all your project trees are moved, keep track of what should be copied, etc)
might be acceptable once a year, but maybe not once a money.

-Miles
--
97% of everything is grunge