[Gnu-arch-users] Re: fixing and extending "selected commit"

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: fixing and extending "selected commit"
Date: 03 Oct 2003 11:45:54 +0900

Robert Anderson <address@hidden> writes:
> I think you're missing the point.  The point is entirely not that we
> want an additional "copy-as-if-respecting-limits".  The point is that we
> want a way to create tree states and commit them.  Period.

Huh?  `copy-as-respecting-limits' seems very useful as a standalone
operation, without committing.

So as far as I can see, no `period.'

> The question is how to get there in the best way.  The "copy" is just
> one way of getting at it and you seem to be saying you wouldn't like the
> performance of a whole-tree copy.

Yes.

> So how else could you do it?

By modifying the changeset creation mechanism to have the notion of a
`limit', and ignore files not inside it.  Simple and straight-forward
(indeed, I'd think this was the _obvious_ way to do it...).

-Miles
--
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it
has to be us.  -- Jerry Garcia