Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit (was Linus Torvalds <addre

From: Davide Libenzi
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit (was Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> Re: log-buf-len dynamic)
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 13:03:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> > to put it in another way, pages that holds the code to parse the tag-line:
> > will be never faulted in my setup :)
>
> I'd be curious to hear what Linus think about the matter. Maybe he will
> love taglines. I currently doubt but mine is only a very wild guess.

Sure, you never know. But the fact that Linus likes them, does not make me
to automatically like them (data/metadata mixtures) ;)

> I'm unsure what's so bad about being fully strict and safe and executing
> the move/add/delete-tag always, it's so rare that I don't really care.

I always try to put my believeth under discussion, so yesterday I started
the fl-cow project with bare-bone tagline. It punctually happened that I
fired a commit w/out a make distclean and a bunch of cr*p (mainly stuff
inside autom4te.cache) went inside the patch. I've then understood that my
believeth were not bad after all ;) Doing move/add/del does cost me zero
since the number of move/add/del are at least one order of magnitude lower
than my commits. So prefer to care one order of magnitude less (during
move/add/del) instead of one order of magnitude more (during commits).
Note that there's no intention to convince anyone about the superiority of
one model aginst another here. That's simply the model that fits me.

- Davide