Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit (was Linus Torvalds <addre

From: Robin Farine
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit (was Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> Re: log-buf-len dynamic)
Date: 03 Oct 2003 23:53:41 +0200

[...]

    Andrea> My question is why do I need the tag in the files if tla
    Andrea> does everything automatically already? You acknowledge
    Andrea> I've to tag-move explicitly anyways for the strict commit
    Andrea> to work.

Because not everybody will use arch. People using CVS or even the good
old diff and patch method have the right to rename a file, don't they?

With tagline, if someone using CVS renames one file and submit a
patch, arch will automatically notice the rename thanks to the
embedded tag. With explicit, at the very best the guy has the tags in
his CVS repo but he won't bother renaming the external tag. So arch
will see a delete and a new file instead of a rename.

--
rnf