Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit (was Linus Torvalds <addre

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit (was Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> Re: log-buf-len dynamic)
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 10:02:49 +1000

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 09:51, Miles Bader wrote:
> That doesn't answer my question; are there `arch managed' projects, other
> than those from Tom, that distribute the {arch} directory as part of their
> official distributions?

Well, I don't for my arch managed projects. I take the approach that:
if you want to hack, you pull the source & have all the relevant tools.
if you want to use, you pull the distribution that just builds, and
needs minimal local tools.

now, arch is slowly blurring those lines, and if/when I get an easy to
maintain middle ground, things may change :}.

> I've always considered it as being like CVS dirs, as something you'd strip
> out when making a distribution.

Well 'out there' there are projects that use CVS and include :pserver:
pre-registered CVS metadata in their tarballs. It's not hugely common
that I've seen, but Tom's not alone in the concept.

Rob