Re: [Gnu-arch-users] hardlinked pristine trees

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] hardlinked pristine trees
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 18:08:07 -0400

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 05:38:48PM +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> > Do I understand correctly the pristine tree is a temporary thing needed
> > just to diff against it?
>
> I don't think it's temporary.

Well, it's not `temporary' in the sense that tla won't automatically delete
it, but _is_ temporary in the (more important, I think) sense that _you_ can
just delete it whenever you want, with no negative consequences; tla will
just make a new one if it needs it.

> There is a difference, which is that until Pau did the work on making
> revision libraries sparse, revision libraries had to contain all revisions

Actually revision libraries never needed to contain all revisions, it's just
that the `library-add' command happened to _create_ all (intervening)
revisions.  You can just go and delete all the extra revisions you don't need
(using library-remove) with no adverse consequences.  I often do this because
the default behavior uses too much disk space (even with hard-linked sharing).

-Miles
--
Fast, small, soon; pick any 2.