Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Debugging new user induction

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Debugging new user induction
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 21:31:51 -0700 (PDT)

    > Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 21:04:05 -0700 (PDT)
    > From: Tom Lord <address@hidden>
    > CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
    >

    >     > From: Davide Libenzi <address@hidden>
    >
    >     > On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Robert Collins wrote:
    >
    >     > > What I think happens is that new users to arch have some more or
less
    >     > > preconcieved ideas about their 'ideal' RCS system, and look to
shoehorn
    >     > > arch into the same pattern. Then, when they are told there are
better
    >     > > ways, the better ways are rejected - on the basis that the new
user
    >     > > knows better.
    >
    >     > (just when you think it's over)
    >
    > It is.   The unquoted part of your post is quite buggy.  Debugging it
    > is not a priority.
    >
    > -t

I'm often enough accused of being rude or having "bad tone" or
whatever.  Therefore:

"Let me make one thing perfectly clear...." [1]

It's not a priority to debug your post because on some _other_ topics,
both you and Andrea are making positive enough contributions.  My
biggest complaint (which I would levy against many, many people, not
just you) is that you aren't concise enough -- don't edit enough.
You don't seem to listen to people who correct you -- but perhaps that
is a side effect of the shear volume of these threads.

So, again:  let's all just drop the problematic threads, step back and
scratch our heads in silence, and focus on the good stuff going
forward.   Odds are we'll sync up on the obfuscated issues sometime
down the road.

Try not to lie [2] to people about arch in the meantime.

-t

[1] -- Richard Nixon

[2] i.e., where more experience users have been arguing with you,
    just adopt the presumption that you don't know what you're talking
    about yet -- at least as a polite fiction, if that helps.