Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Debugging new user induction

From: Tupshin Harper
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Debugging new user induction
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 21:53:20 -0700

Tom Lord wrote:

I'm often enough accused of being rude or having "bad tone" or
whatever.  Therefore:

"Let me make one thing perfectly clear...." [1]

It's not a priority to debug your post because on some _other_ topics,
both you and Andrea are making positive enough contributions.  My
biggest complaint (which I would levy against many, many people, not
just you) is that you aren't concise enough -- don't edit enough.

In that spirit, then...let me make one concise summary of one issue.

I don't like the notion of adding arch-ids to the contents of a file. I have listened to all the arguments in favor, and my very personal opinion is that the ends don't justify the means for me. Any project I maintain in arch will not contain these ids, and any patches that included these ids would be rejected. Therefore, I would use the "name" method instead of tagline or explicit because I would consider it harmful if tags subsequently got added to the files.

I respect the fact that other people here feel differently, but they can do what they want with their archives, and I can do what I want with mine. The notion that tagline is at least as good as name is a non-starter, because it allows something that I would not want to allow.

I agree with the notion that renames are rare enough that using tla commands is not intrusive. Beyond that, I believe that eventually interactive heuristics can be added if it appears that a rename took place without the corresponding tla command.

You make ask "why bother to bring this up? just use name and leave us alone." But many times, the sentiment seems to be expressed that it doesn't make any sense to use name inventory, and if this attitude prevails, then name tagging (which is essential for some) will be treated as a second class citizen, and tools that facilitate the use of name inventory will be frowned upon. I would prefer that this not happen.

Cheers
-Tupshin