Re: [OT] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Arch hooks

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Arch hooks
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 15:47:51 +0900

    >> Sure.  But how am I supposed to know it's _safe_?  Maybe
    >> instead of diverting to /bin/true I should divert to
    >> /bin/false?

    Andrew> Hell, I don't really know it's "safe" either. Try it and
    Andrew> see? >:)

    Andrew> All it does is supposed to be to modify the apache config
    Andrew> files, so splicing it out should just mean you'll have to
    Andrew> fix your config files by hand.

The problem is that unless you're the Debian maintainer, you can't know
if when that is bypassed you will end up with a later package wedged
because it depends on Apache being _correctly_ reconfigured.

    Andrew> This sounds like a case where the right answer is "ask the
    Andrew> mailing list and/or maintainers".

It would have taken more time to _find the mailing list address_ than
I spent hacking the makefile.

That's what I don't like about the trend to "blackbox config tools":
it encourages people like me to hack the parts we understand.  That's
OK if it's just individuals, but I suspect this is an important reason
why we Nipponjin suffer so much.  As a cultural matter, Japanese would
rather have a local hack private to a small circle of initiates than
spend effort on creating a (compatible) public good.

    Andrew> It has been a goal that nobody should be forced to use
    Andrew> hardware detection, so they aren't installed
    Andrew> automatically.

So what you're saying is that Debian's goals are completely consonant
with giving Branden's company a big advantage over vanilla Debian in
ease of use?  (I know what your response will be, and it's completely
adequate, of course.  Just sit there and feel the sting for a while,
and see if that grows into a need to do something about this.  ;-)