Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 21:32:31 +1000

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 21:00, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>     Robert> explicit suffers from -exactly- the same sample problem
>     Robert> you propose for tagline.
>
> Excuse me?  If you use explicit, Miles and Pau will get tree-lint
> errors when they try to commit unadded files.  No?

No. explicit is -nearly- orthogonal to tree lint errors and the
behaviour of untagged files. The nearly is "Robert hasn't tested
untagged-source source with explicit tags". IOW they may be fully
orthogonal but I haven't tried to push that corner of the envelope.

>  True, they can add
> tags to existing files if they want, but why would that be a common
> behavior?  And if they do, under explicit you just remove the tag and
> you're back within coding standard again, with no possibility of weird
> breakage in file history.  (Granted, somebody who mv's a file will get
> breakage, but that's not weird, that's CVS.  :-P)

Uhm. I'm not sure we're on the same page here. explicit stores the tag
suffix in a file. an internal tag suffix is stored within the file. Arch
prepends a  tag-type to the suffix to generate the actual tag. So:
explicit tags can be uuid's. explicit tags can be descriptive of the
file. explicit tags can be sequentially generated. once a file has a tag
- either via tla add, or via editing the file - adding another tag (of
the converse type) will cause confusion at a minimum, and weird breakage
at worst.

NB: 'tag' doesn't refer to a tag-line in arch. It refers to the file tag
which is the logical identity - thus 'tagging-method'.

> My point is simply that the restricted behavior _is_ more restrictive,
> as rwa said, and that this is sometimes desirable, for example in large
> projects already familiar with similar restricted behavior.

That point I've no quarrel with per se. I'm not sure it's beyond a few
lines of descriptive paragraph to resolve.

Rob