Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: taglines vs explicit
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 15:55:24 +0100

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 06:23:02PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> > While both of them have their points, the last thing
> > (eg) Linus wants to see is Andrea using strictly explicit, Miles using
> > taglines with uuidgen taglines, and Pau using tagline with descriptive
> > taglines, which is a distinct possibility if the kernel were to use
> > tagline.
>
> You seem to have fallen into the same conflation trap.
>
> explicit suffers from -exactly- the same sample problem you propose for
> tagline.
>
> tagging method might be called 'tag-location'. Does that help clear it
> up?

Rephrasing it in terms of a practical example, Stephen's point is one
of the primary reasons why I use explicit instead of tagline for my own
projects:

If people send me changesets, I want those changesets to contain
explicit tags, not embedded tags.

Using explicit makes this point to people in a neatly effective
manner.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |