Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> Re: log-buf-len

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> Re: log-buf-len dynamic
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:16:53 -0400

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 03:30:39PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > It is nice to handle them correctly though -- and currently with BK,
> > Linus _does_ handle rename patches correctly (I was very impressed when I
> > first saw it).
>
> are you sure the reason isn't that every kernel developer but myself and
> Davide (and a very few others) are using bitkeeper?

Yes, because it was a patch that I sent Linus myself (and I don't [can't
even] use bitkeeper).

I was actually a bit worried about what the effect would be, and was very
surprised (and pleased) when I checked BK the next day and saw that the
`correct' thing had happened.

> are you sure bitkeeper can detect renames automatically even if submitting
> it through a patch?

I asked Linus about it afterwards, and he said BK has a tool to help do this,
but I got the impression it just presented a list of added and deleted files,
and let the user match them up to construct renames; I don't know whether it
does anything more than that (e.g., detecting file closeness and suggesting
probably renames).

-Miles
--
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  --Albert Einstein