Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> Re: log-buf-len

From: Paul Hedderly
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> Re: log-buf-len dynamic
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 08:17:57 +0100

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 04:47:34PM -0700, Zack Brown wrote:

> That's my impression from lkml discussion. I think BK isn't perfect with
> this, but my understanding is that when it works from a diff, it looks at
> created and deleted files, to see if they are really renames. It takes a
> little extra time, but apparently it's worth it.
>
> One of the more impressive aspects of BK.

A few lines of perl will that nicely... I've done so. Can compare two
trees, will list new/deleted files and direct renames. Will also find
modified renames according to settings of percentage change on two
fronts - line length and lines changed.

I'll post the archive later when I've tidied it up. It's used by a tool
I've written called tla-import. Yea it's been done before, but the
others didn't quite do what I wanted.

tla-import in its simplest invocation just takes a tar file, patch file
or directory as arguement.
-It works out the version from the file/dir name (or a command line
arg if there is none).
-Works out the closest ancestor from the archive you are currently in
(or one from the command line)
-Decides whether to create a new version (you set how many levels
of version you want ie 0 or 0.0 or...)
Checks out that previous version.
-Tags a new version if that's wanted
Creates a new diff from the tar/patch/dir
-Runs treediff against the two trees to catch adds/dels/renames and does
the appropriate tla command on each.
-Commits
-Checks {arch}/=tla-import.configs for a place to put a new config, and
does so for each line. (Ie you can save multiple configs) This is handy
for those who don't like having thousands of versions. You can have one
version, or maybe two levels of versions 1.2,1.3 etc and 1.2.1, 1.2.3.99
become are only recognised as configs.

It works, but I'm just making it more robust at the moment. Then I'll
let people loose on it.

--
Paul