[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Design proposal to kill pristine trees

From: Pau Aliagas
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Design proposal to kill pristine trees
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 13:07:05 +0200 (CEST)

On 8 Oct 2003, Miles Bader wrote:

> Pau Aliagas <address@hidden> writes:
> > Let's see if I understand it: you want arch to invoke a hook, if existing,
> > each time it needs to find or make a revision library or pristine tree,
> > that is each time it calls arch_find_or_make_local_copy.
>
> Actually I thought that it would be sufficient to only do it once, the
> first time a revlib/pristine was needed, and thereafter return a cached
> copy of the result returned the first time (that's one reason for having
> the hook-script return a path).

If you want to provide the path to the revlib entry or create it in
a particular path, then every time that arch needed a library, it should
call the hook.

> > We'd need to modify the library functions to accept a path.
>
> I'm not sure of the internal detail, I just know what I want. :-)

I'm thinking ahead ;)

> > Witha nice script you can even use it to prune the unneeded revisions.
>
> Wouldn't that be better done by another, more specialized hook (e.g. one that
> is called to supply a _particular_ revision out of a library)?

You can do it in any moment, but if you build a script to manage
libraries, I think that looks like the better place to automate it.
If you look at the name of the procedure arch_find_or_make_local_copy,
you'll see that it does not distinguish one case from the oher. When you
need a local copy, find it or make it!

Pau