Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:56:23 +0900

    Miles> Using the above scheme, everything seems to work, at the
    Miles> cost of two special groups for the emacs project -- which
    Miles> doesn't seem a very high price to pay, and also seems like
    Miles> an extremely natural way to set things up.

At XEmacs, we enable commits to a single Lisp package for anybody who
is an upstream package maintainer, or has the agreement of the
upstream maintainer to maintain the XEmacs package.  At present there
are about 35 people with restricted commit privileges, and I would say
that all of them are different, so we'd need nearly 40 groups.

As Colin said, there is a big difference between "tiny burden" and "no
burden".  The burden of this system is noticable, but both those of us
who bear it _and_ the committers prefer it this way.