[Gnu-arch-users] Re: on being an ass

From: zander
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: on being an ass
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:52:54 +0200

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 10:05:58AM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:

>     >>>> From: Ethan Benson
>     >>>> as i have pointed out, sysadmins worth thier salt are not going
>     >>>> to allow shared accounts with multiple having access to it.
>
>     >> From: Tom Lord
>     >> Yeah, the suid bit was just a joke.  Nobody was meant to actually
>     >> _use_ it.
>
>     > From: Ethan Benson
>     > you are doing an EXCELLENT job of chasing away users, developers, and
>     > donations with your asshole attitude.
>
>     > and i was considering sending you a donation shortly.  not anymore.
>
> A more constructive reply might have gone:
>  It's ridiculous to expect a large organization like OSU or
>  SourceForge or Savannah to drop everything and revise all of that
>  technical, social, and legal infrastructure just so that any user who
>  wants to start an arch project can allocate a new user id.

Tom,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write out the argument you
expected Ethan to make, and writing a clearly articulated answer to that
argument.
It indeed takes away the escalating problem at hand.

I'm not sure I agree with the tone though; On one side you want Ethan to
talk mature and on the other you want him to basically patronize you by
telling you loads of things you already know.

Its a step in the righ direction; but the not-so-subtle undertone is less
appriciated.

Again; thank you.

--
Thomas Zander