[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Auto-generated source files

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Auto-generated source files
Date: 14 Oct 2003 16:40:35 +0900

Thomas Zander <address@hidden> writes:
> > Have you considered to use the taggingline/implicit methods? The idea
> > here is that you put some magic string into the source files that are
> > really source files.
>
> I tried; but arch refuses to commit since there are source files present
> which don't have that string.  I find that message very shortsighted and
> impractical.  Indeed I would love to have your solution work; but I could
> not find out how.

You should be able to put something like:

  untagged-source precious

as the second line in your {arch}/=tagging-methods file (following the
actual tagging-method), which tells arch to treat untagged files as
being `invisible' (haven't tested it though).

> > I am not completely sure that I understand your resistance to the
> > regexps in =tagging-method.
>
> The reason is that there are several developers in different experience
> levels adding these files to CVS.
> I want a tool that helps me fix these problems; not one I have to work
> around.

How do you do it with CVS?  Using .cvsignore?

That's essentially the same thing as arch's naming regexps, but a bit
if you have a large set of specific filenames.

It's been proposed to add a similar mechanism to tla too (though
presumably more like =tagging-method, e.g. a list of category/regexp
pairs).

> > Another option would to do a small tool which would generate the
> > necessary regexps and add them to =tagging-method automatically.
>
> True. That is something to consider, but i view this as a workaround, I'd
> rather have a good solution that is transparent to the user.

I think _no_ solution is perfectly transparent -- probably the closest
is to use the `untagged-source' line (as above) to make arch shut up
about untagged files, but it's very likely that you'll then have
problems with people forgetting to tag new files before committing.

-miles
--
"Most attacks seem to take place at night, during a rainstorm, uphill,
 where four map sheets join."   -- Anon. British Officer in WW I