Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla-pqm 0.2

From: Joshua Haberman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla-pqm 0.2
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:56:09 -0700

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 07:28, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 05:55, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > Colin Walters wrote:
> >
> > > Comments, questions, etc appreciated!
> >
> > I'd like to have something which actually is a _patch_ queue, not just a
> > _merge_ _request_ queue.
>
> Hmm.  So you would basically have to do the star-merge on the client
> side, and then tar up that changeset and send it?  Perhaps if we
> automated the client-side star-merge (pretty easy), the whole operation
> might not be too painful.

If you are developing on your own branch (one not specifically meant for
a particular experimental change), aren't you going to want to
star-merge from the canonical branch frequently anyway?  You don't want
to be developing on a tree that is missing longstanding changes from
other contributors, do you?  As I see it, doing a star-merge on a
development branch is not part of the process of submitting one or more
changesets, it's a periodic operation to perform on personal branches.

Also think of contributors who don't have permission to write to the
canonical branch.  They should be able to submit merge requests or
changesets and have the people who do have write access approve or deny
them.

Josh