Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: ANN: Spaces in filenames

From: Christian Thäter
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: ANN: Spaces in filenames
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:35:48 +0100

> BTW, using '\ ' to mean space is probably a bad idea.  The escape should be
> something that doesn't include any whitespace itself; that includes
> higher-levels using space-delimited formats to read input containing escaped
> strings without having to do low-level escaping parsing themselves.
>
> If you want to use C-style escapes, something like '\s' seems better.

If such then \S maybe, but shell knows/uses '\ ' too, i dont want to
break common unix practice. Your suggestion would make it easier to
tokenize, but step over the next character whenever the tokenizer sees
an '\' seems to be trivial enough, that are escapes for.

For now I implement it in the proprosed way, the escaping scheme is
trivial to change even to HTML encoding as i told before. So first
implementation later optimization. You can discuss/suggest better things
or send patches when it works .. or take the entire "Spaces in
filenames" job *now* and implement it, no problem i can do my other things.

        Christian