Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: ANN: Spaces in filenames

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: ANN: Spaces in filenames
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:17:37 -0500

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 12:48:54AM +0100, Christian Th?ter wrote:
> > IOW, existing code assumes that filenames have certain characteristics,
> > one of them being a lack of whitespace.  The escaping code should not
> > require changing these assumptions (as allowing '\ ' would).
>
> that is rather a pro for the `\ ` ... existing code which is not
> escapes-aware will very likely not parse that correctly and hopefully
> exit with an error, while '\S' or '\040' will be correctly parsed as
> (illegal) name this delays the error unnessecary if even one is
> generated. So code which need to be escape-aware need to be compatible
> with whatever escaping scheme we use, no way around.

What on earth are you talking about?  These escape sequences are _internal_
to tla/arch.  Why would non-tla code (or other programs specifically intended
for dealing with arch on-disk formats) ever have to deal with them?

Internal to tla, existing parts of tla which are not escape-aware should just
_pass through_ whatever it finds -- thus the goal avoiding things like '\ '
-- leaving the escape expansion to lower/later layers.

-Miles
--
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it
has to be us.  -- Jerry Garcia