Re: [Gnu-arch-users] anonymous id

From: zander
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] anonymous id
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:47:06 +0100

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 10:44:07AM +0100, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> According to Mark A. Flacy:
> > (I also think that spaces in file names are a shitty idea.
>
> You may think it a shitty idea but users don't and if we want people to
> use Arch (maybe embedded in a given editor/IDE/whatever), adding support
> for spaces is worthwhile. It is like accentued letters in filenames, they
> are a bigger problem IMO (especially when your users have Windows or MacOS
> X where everything is Unicode) but one you want to be able to handle.
>
> > Line-feeds/newlines in file names are an abomination.)

More and more tools support utf8 based filenames; while I'm not quite sure
how linefeeds could be a problem in the first place (its just a string..)
this piece of knowledge might be worthwhile to share.
You might want to start an KDE application after setting the environment
var KDE_UTF8_FILENAMES=yes  and save some files with non-latin1 chars.

--
Thomas Zander