Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: Slavery???

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: Slavery???
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:35:05 +0000

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 11:39:44AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Andrew> No. The former is a set of things which people as a group
>     Andrew> cannot realistically be prevented from doing ("inalienable
>     Andrew> rights" if you are feeling trite, although "rights" don't
>     Andrew> actually exist); the latter is not (the US prohibits many
>     Andrew> of its citizens from one or more of these, for example).
>
> Artistic obfuscation.  Why bother?  I would think a Debian developer,
> of all people, would prefer to make a constructive contribution.

It's actually a reflection on Discordian philosophy combined with an
obscure reference. Possibly a bit too obscure. See appendix Zain[0]
for some background.

The point is that privilege which the state cannot enforce by coercion
cannot really be privilege at all, but rather is a request that you
act in a certain manner ("do not copy this data"). It is your choice
whether or not to do as you have been requested.

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", on the other hand, can
be and regularly are enforced by the state, leaving you with no choice.

[I'm not sure what rationale led you to this question]

[0] http://www.blackcrayon.com/library/dictionary/?term=property

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |