Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: in-tree pristines fatally wounded (merge-fest e

From: zander
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: in-tree pristines fatally wounded (merge-fest etc)
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 21:12:21 +0100

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 10:00:58AM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:

>     > From: Thomas Zander <address@hidden>
>
>     > On Tuesday 02 December 2003 15:42, Charles Duffy wrote:
>     > > On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 08:23, Thomas Zander wrote:
>     > > > At this rate nobody will every want to pay you for tla (or itla for
>     > > > that matter, since I don't see how you will change your ways by
>     > > > inventing something new).
>
>     > > Might I point out that this is demonstrably untrue?
>
>     > > Perhaps *you* won't be paying Tom unless he scratches your itches, but
>     > > please don't presume to speak for everyone else.
>
>     > Which part is untrue?  The part where people won't pay Tom unless he
>     > actually earns it, or the part that Tom has a tendency to not scratch
> users
>     > itches ?
>
> The part where you presume to speak for everyone.
>
> On the other hand, the way you express your personal dissatisfaction
> to my reactions to some of your suggestions by invoking some of my
> particular struggles in life and trying to make me feel guilty or bad
> about my reactions to your suggestions in that light -- I guess that's
> just mean (or at least it would be if it were more convincing --
> perhaps it's just a lame attempt at being mean).

If you feel I am just being mean; then I really expressed myself poorly (not
uncommon) personal attacks are not something I take pleasure in or even feel
I am good at.

The points you feel are mean are meant as a wakeup call; since your paypal
URL seems to flash in emails many times more often then they did when I just
subscribed.
I also observe that the bugs that are really a problem in every day use
_right now_ are not being closed, they are not even followed up. And when they
are they are closed with a claim that is not supported by reason.

If it is your opinion that tla should get changes in the core; but that it
will still be too hard to use for end users, that Windows is not a player
and all those little things that people tell you are immidiate problems.
If those things are not as important as core updates, then you must face
the problem that your audience is going to be a _lot_ smaller and a direct
concequence is that fundraising is going to be a lot harder (less chickens
to pick feathers from).

> The suggestions you make stand or fall on their merits -- not on the
> power or lack of power of your rants.

I appreciate that you have that standpoint; and please beware that I have
tried to find various reasons for sending that cach you need.  Unfortunately
I (personally) have not found any.

Since this will probably be seen as another simple rant, I'll leave it with
the personal opinion called;  a sincere frustration.

--
Thomas Zander