RE: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU arch/tla

From: Parker, Ron
Subject: RE: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU arch/tla
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:44:50 -0600

I do find the mixing of GNU arch and tla a little odd.  But, I really do
like the double-entendre humor of the name tla.  I have no idea if this was
Tom's intent or not but, I am aware of two possible meanings of tla.  The
first I think is obvious:

        Tom Lord's Arch

A little self-serving, but he's allowed.

The second comes from a joke that started at IBM years ago.  IBM was known
for using acronyms with three letters for a lot of things, IBM, DB2, OS2,
etc. and one day they started referring to these as 3-letter acronyms, or
TLAs.

I kind of like the TLA "tla" for Tom Lord's Arch.

Who knows, maybe someone with more creativity than me can come up with an
acronym in the recursive GNU and lisp spirit, like GNU (GNU's not UNIX) or
HURD (HIRD of Unix-Replacing Deamons, where HIRD is HURD of Interfaces
Representing Depth.)

I suck at this, so the best I could do was a poor 3 level recursion.

TLA is "THE Lord's Arch", where
THE is TOM's Humility Exercise, (consider the lack of income and the amount
of personal sacrifice Tom has put into this project.
THE is TLA Organizes Mobocracy, (mobocracy because in spite of everyone
running off in their own direction and doing their own thing, TLA can be
used to pull it all back together.)

Or, if you think "THE Lord's Arch" has too many religious overtones, it
could just be two layers deep.

TLA is "TOM Lord's Arch", where
TOM is "TLA Organizing Mobocracy".