Re: [Gnu-arch-users] possible bug with version number sorting

From: Paul Pelzl
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] possible bug with version number sorting
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 18:40:39 -0500

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 10:50:13AM -0500, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:
> I have encountered some perplexing behaviour in the way that tla
> decides which version on a branch is the most recent.
>
> In a particular category (call it "foo"), I have the following
> versions:
>
>         foo--devel--0.1
>         foo--devel--0.1.1
>         foo--devel--0.1.2
>         foo--devel--0.1.3
>         foo--devel--0.1.4

Quoting the tutorial:
"Notice that version numbers are always two positive integers, separated
by a period. These are sometimes called the major and minor version."

So your versions are violating the Arch namespace convention.  A
quick-n-dirty solution is to map into foo--devel-0--1.X .  Depending on
what your version numbers mean, a better idea might be to use
foo--devel--0.1 along with a symbolic tag branch to track the least
significant version number (also mentioned in the tutorial).

Paul