Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: possible bug with version number sorting

From: Mirian Crzig Lennox
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: possible bug with version number sorting
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:31:22 -0500

address@hidden (Miles Bader) writes:

> I'm not sure how the sorting is supposed to work -- all my branches only
> use a single version (usually just `0'!) -- but the behavior he cites
> does seem a bit weird...

Mind you, I don't think it's "wrong" in any objective sense; it's a
simply matter of which convention one follows.  I happen to believe
that the convention that x.y precedes x.y.z has more currency
especially in the open source community, so I'm hoping this tla's
ordering is rightfully a bug for which a fix would be welcomed.  On
the other hand, if Tom has deliberately chosen this ordering for his
usual solid and well-considered reasons, then I won't quibble; I would
only suggest it be clarified in documentation.

cheers,
Mirian