Re: [Gnu-arch-users] crypto signing take 2

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] crypto signing take 2
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 02:02:00 +0000

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 02:11:46PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
> [*] It's funny, from my perspective, when people talk about using
>     q-agent in order to keep the "TCB" small.   Geeze, I only had to
>     install about 10MB of new source (including an out of date version
>     of one package) just to get it to compile.
>
>     And all that for a server program and wrapper that should be, at
>     _most_, 10 pages of very portable unix code.

Common impression, but it's not really accurate. The vast majority of
that stuff was to get the
entirely-independent-why-is-this-shipped-in-the-same-package gtk
passphrase input box to compile. The *important* stuff only depends on
glib, which is actually fairly small in its own right - it's mostly
data structure crap (and no transitive dependencies of note).

The significant code in quintuple-agent comes in at slightly over 1k
lines physical, or slightly under by SLOC. The only significant thing
used by that code from glib is the hashtable implementation.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |