Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch lkml

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch lkml
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:35:40 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Bruce Stephens <address@hidden>

    > Other systems probably should consider using that kind of
    > approach (i.e., you do an RCS-like expansion of $ArchID$ or
    > something similar, expanding it to the file name relative to the
    > root, plus whatever else seems useful; then you can use that
    > when committing, etc., to follow renames and things---presumably
    > you'd unexpand before actually committing, otherwise you'd get
    > bloated changesets).

_Maybe_ something like that could be worked out but I think it'd be
hard.

Consider, for example, what happens not on `commit' but on, say,
`update' where the changes brought in by update have renamed a
top-level directory.   The id strings in all the files below that
would have to be updated.   To make matters worse, if the update
contradicts a local change (by trying to put to files at the same
relative location) what are you going to do then with these ids?

Of course, if the "whatever else seems useful" includes an ordinary
arch tag these problems disappear -- but in that case you aren't
really using the relative path names for anything.