Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch lkml

From: Roman Zippel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch lkml
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:57:11 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Karel Gardas wrote:

> > The point is arch should not rely on the user to provide it with an unique
> > id and arch should instead generate one itself, when the file is added to
> > the repository. Other tagging schemes can still be build on top of this.
>
> Is there anything what prevents you from using explicit tagging? Even Tom
> and other like tag-line a lot, at least Tom seemed to promised that he
> will support explicit tagging in the future. I hope this is still true.

When I look at it, explicit tagging seems to be just an after-thought,
where arch should actually always use automatic tags internally. This
would remove the difference between all the tagging methods. If arch finds
an id in the file (however it's generated), it can use this as hint to
automatically update the internal tag, otherwise this has to be done
explicit.

bye, Roman