Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch lkml

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch lkml
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:40:37 +0000

"Mark A. Flacy" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> I could see how this could be used on a commit rather than a get,
> but it would have to be a one-shot expansion.  A file-id is useless
> if it changes with every commit.

Why?  Suppose Arch stored files always with unexpanded keywords
($ArchId$, say), and on get, it expanded them appropriately.  Then,
when it needed to (on commit, for example), it could use the expanded
keywords to determine file renames and deletes.  Also adds, since an
unexpanded keyword like $ArchId$ would have to be a new file.

Arch would probably need to keep a stable tag internally, but it
needn't expose those to ordinary users.  Not that I can see, anyway;
it's possible that having the permanent ids in files make some things
feasible that would be impossible for expanded keywords, and that I
just haven't seen it yet.

[...]