Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch lkml

From: Mark A. Flacy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch lkml
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:05:09 -0600

>>>>> "Bruce" == Bruce Stephens <address@hidden> writes:
Bruce>
Bruce> Why?  Suppose Arch stored files always with unexpanded keywords
Bruce> ($ArchId$, say), and on get, it expanded them appropriately.

So could you possibly wave your hands a little more?

Bruce> Then, when it needed to (on commit, for example), it could use the
Bruce> expanded keywords to determine file renames and deletes.  Also adds,
Bruce> since an unexpanded keyword like $ArchId$ would have to be a new
Bruce> file.

And how does it do this magical thing?  Where is the state that $ArchId$
hides hidden away?

Bruce> Arch would probably need to keep a stable tag internally, but it
Bruce> needn't expose those to ordinary users.  Not that I can see, anyway;
Bruce> it's possible that having the permanent ids in files make some things
Bruce> feasible that would be impossible for expanded keywords, and that I
Bruce> just haven't seen it yet.

I see increased complexity in the system for no gain.

--
 Mark A. Flacy
 Any opinions expressed above are my own.  Any facts expressed above