Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch lkml

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch lkml
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:11:41 +1100

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 07:57, Roman Zippel wrote:
> When I look at it, explicit tagging seems to be just an after-thought,
> where arch should actually always use automatic tags internally. This
> would remove the difference between all the tagging methods. If arch finds
> an id in the file (however it's generated), it can use this as hint to
> automatically update the internal tag, otherwise this has to be done
> explicit.

If a tag changes, arch sees a new file.

You appear to be making a number of assumptions about how:
1) the repository identifies files
2) how file identification occurs in changesets
3) about how file identification is handed between [unrelated] versions.

Rather than telling us how all these things are possible, I suggest you
  *) use the default in tla - explicit tagging with untagged-source
uncrecognized - to get CVS like behaviour.
  *) Go examine a changeset, to see it's format, and read the internals
of mkpatch, dopatch and inventory
  *) Try to come up with some approach that will have a good cost
benefit trade off - unneeded complexity, or complexity for the sake of
complexity is not a good trade off....
  *) If you can't come up with said approach, use tla as an engine, and
give it a front end that does what you want.

Rob