Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Automatic archive discovery, take 1

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Automatic archive discovery, take 1
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:16:15 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Robert Collins <address@hidden>

    > On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 09:47, Miles Bader wrote:
    > > Anyway I have no idea why it's a hard problem, surely a `meta archive'
    > > such as you propose could be a simple text file reached by the
    > > meta-archive url, which could have a list of real archives and their
    > > URLs.  This shouldn't place any restriction at all on the URLs of the
    > > real archives.

    > Such a text file is precisely what asuffields proposal entails.

The thing I don't like about asuffield's proposal is that it provides
auto-registration-on-demand based only on archive name and taking as
authoritative a list of name->location mappings that has no obvious
connection to the archive's owner.  There's nothing right about that.

I think it aimed to make a kind of built-in-rdist but instead hit the
target of poorly-designed-name-authority-for-archives.