Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Automatic archive discovery, take 1

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Automatic archive discovery, take 1
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:42:13 -0500

On Sun, 2003-12-14 at 19:18, Tom Lord wrote:

> What about a case like I expect with my archives?  When I next rotate,
> I'll probably be replacing one archive for everything with several
> different ones for different parts.

Well, if we allowed an arbitrary prefix to define a repository, you
could name your various archives like:

address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden

Here, the repository prefix is "address@hidden".  That means that all of
the above archives are part of the same repository.  When I do a "tla
get address@hidden", it would work even though I hadn't
explicitly registered it, since it matches the address@hidden prefix.
All of these archives would be subdirectories of the same URL.

If later you wanted another repository on a different host, you could
make its prefix say "address@hidden", containing archives like:

address@hidden

Now that archive also matches the "address@hidden" prefix, but there's a
simple solution: disambiguate by taking the longest match of the
repository prefixes.