Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [RFC] Naming conventions

From: Samium Gromoff
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [RFC] Naming conventions
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:33:30 +0300

At Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:51:33 +0100,
Thomas Zander wrote:

> On Monday 15 December 2003 11:03, Samium Gromoff wrote:
> > In the compliance with the established arch standard, it is proposed
> > to store the deltas in $HOME/{deltas}
>
> I'd throw in an additional .arch dir as that is the Unix standard.
> Further: It might be that I misunderstood the arch naming but '{deltas}'
> seems wrong to me when not used as a top-level dir; so make it a ,, dir.
>
> So: $HOME/.arch/,,archive-deltas

Think of it like that:

In unix we`ve had the $HOME/Mail for decades, and it was fine.

Why mail deserved a special _visible_ _top-level_ directory?

My answer is: because mail is essential, in almost every respect.

My assertion: deltas are essential as well, in almost every respect,
        _except_ for the people who don`t use revision control.

And if you follow Tom`s vision, these poor souls are going to extinct in
the next five years.

A supporting claim: patches (deltas) were around for decades as well.
        It`s just that nobody have got useful tools to manage them, so far,
        and therefore people were forced to maintain the "Patchbox"
        structure by hand.

While you could concur that Arch is not an established format for delta
distribution, it very well might become one, in the near future.
Yeah, it`s a weak contrargument, but, hey, someone hss to settle
standards?

> > If a future need would arise to choose a default working source tree
> > location, it is proposed to choose $HOME/{srctrees} for them to reside
> > in.
>
> You mean that you do a get (checkout) to that location? That seems wrong
> since I doubt the user will want to work there; if only because his IDE
> probably has a different default location.
> What I do in my tool is that a file-dialog is shown and the location is
> remembered so the next time a get is done it will be the default the user
> will see.
> In other words; you ask the user.

On this issue i`ve had vaguely the same suspicion, so i`ll mostly agree
with you here.

> - --
> Thomas Zander

regards, Samium Gromoff