Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [RFC] Naming conventions

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [RFC] Naming conventions
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:08:31 -0500

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 01:03:29PM +0300, Samium Gromoff wrote:
> In the compliance with the established arch standard, it is proposed
> to store the deltas in $HOME/{deltas}

GAh, stop with the stupid curly-braces!

There's no `convention' in arch that All Directories Shall Contain
Curly-Braces; arch uses _one_ name that contains curly-braces, {arch}, and
that name is _special_, because it's non-optional, must occur at the root of
every source tree, and _cannot_ be customized by the user.  All other
directories used by arch are _explicitly_ specified by the user, and this is
a good thing, because it lets me use pleasant names like /usr/local/arch for
my archives instead of the curly-brace-infested names some people seem to
choose (why they do this I haven't a clue).

If you _really_ need a visible directory in the users's homedir (why does it
have to be visible?!?) then just use something containing the name of your
package, e.g., $HOME/tlator-deltas, and more importantly, _make it user
specifiable_!  There's nothing more annoying than a package that creates
non-customizable subdirs in your home directory (e.g. `Desktop'; packages
that do this are usually written by People With No Taste).

> If a future need would arise to choose a default working source tree
> location, it is proposed to choose $HOME/{srctrees} for them to reside in.

(1) why would it?, (2) `{srctrees}' is ugly, ugly, ugly, (3) from what I've
seen, people often to use $HOME/src for their personal source trees.

-Miles
--
Run away!  Run away!