Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [TLATOR] Stabilization + updates

From: Samium Gromoff
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [TLATOR] Stabilization + updates
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:04:36 +0300

At Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:18:02 -0500,
Scott Barron wrote:

> [1  <multipart/signed (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 12:36:37PM +0300, Samium Gromoff wrote:
> >
> > It somehow occured to me that the possible reason of the
> > underflow of feedback i received on tlator so far, might be caused by
> > the sheer amount of sigsegv`s i`ve managed to fix in the fresh
> > series of deltas ;-)
> >

> Hello,

Hello!

> I haven't done much around here but lurk and pick up some good
> information about tla, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.  I have
> a couple suggestions about the underflow of feedback.

Thank you very much for evaluating it!

> First, it may be that people aren't giving it a try because the build
> system requires them to install a patched version of make.  I'm not sure
> how likely it is that people will build a new version of make, much less
> keep one around just to build tlator.  I think this is especially true
> for people using systems with lots of package management.  It may be
> that gmake is broken in a manner that your patch fixes, but it seems
> that until that fix is actually a part of gmake you might want to modify
> your build system to use the standard gmake.  This is an opinion coming
> from somebody who did, in fact, build a new gmake.

The nice thing is that this fix (not mine, i`ve picked it from the head make)
is already in debian unstable for about three, or even more, months.

> I'm also unsure why libnspace.a, libnsui.a, and libtlator.a were
> installed during `make' and not `make install' (If they need to be
> installed at all.  Currently they're unneeded, but you probably have
> plans for them.).

Yes, that`s rather stupid on my part.

> I also do not agree with the hardcoding of the path to tla in something
> like three different places (one for actual use, two for printing
> debugging info).  If you're not going to use a compile time check for
> the path of tla I suggest you at least make it definable in one place,
> either a Makefile or some configuration header.

Good spot. I`ve thought i`ve had it defined only once...

> Now to the actual usage of the program.  I haven't used it to a great
> extent, but I did run into a couple of issues.  First is the ``Set Arch
> ID'' menu item.  A dialog box pops up telling me that my old arch-id is
> ``Groucho Marx <address@hidden>'' when, in fact, it is not.
>
> Second is that when tlator is running tla commands there doesn't seem to
> be a way to stop it from doing so.  For example, it was running a series
> of commands and I was trying to quit but it would not quit until it had
> finished.  Actually, at that point it dumped core.  I havent' tried to
> reproduce it but here's the traceback:
>
> #0  0x080507ab in tlator_dialog_archive_refresh (view=0x81afdac, a=0,
>     w=0x811d5f0) at libtlator/dialogs_archive.c:203
> #1  0x08057b9c in nsui_multiplex_onbutton (button=0x811d5f0,
>     comp=0x81afd78)
>     at libnsui/nsui_multiplex.c:89
>
> Other than these issues it looks like you're doing some good work.  I am
> personally not a huge user of GUIs but yours seems simple, clean, and
> consistent with the design of other tools like gimp and dia (to name
> two).  It looks to be developing into a useful tool for people who
> prefer to use GUI.  Keep up the good work and thanks for listening.

Thank you, again!

> -Scott
> --
> WE DON'T LISTEN TO PEOPLE WHO DON'T LIKE US.

regards, Samium Gromoff