Re: [Gnu-arch-users] patch-log sizes

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] patch-log sizes
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:37:55 +1100

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 09:51, Tom Lord wrote:

> One is: consider whether or not you should complain upstream to your
> filesystem developers.

I'm thinking about it :]. I believe there are more space optimised file
systems extant for linux - reiserfs comes to mind.

> The other is log pruning.  Do I understand that you've made a tree
> that carries around several years worth of patch log history?  If that
> development had been done natively in arch, odds are that are along
> the way there would have been some discarding of old logs (perhaps
> stashing a ChangeLog of what's being discarded, for human readers).
> You might wnat your gateway program to emulate that.

erm, for some value of several.

2003-12-15 23:38:47 GMT Robert Collins <address@hidden> base-0

    Revision:
      automake--HEAD--0--base-0

    Author: rms
    Date: 1992/03/13 19:54:03
    Initial revision

    new files:
     config.sub lib/config.sub

That said, I don't agree with you on yearly archive rotation - which is
a different topic. It's true that log pruning by branches/archives would
reduce the overhead.

Rob