[Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch-log sizes

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch-log sizes
Date: 17 Dec 2003 11:48:54 +0900

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:
> > > Would it be practical to allow some sort of compacted patch-log
> > > storage for sets of old patch-logs, e.g., a .tar.gz file, managed
> > > via explicit user commands?
>
> On the other hand -- or on second thought -- or whatever....
>
> If all you want is something that, in one step, turns some subset of
> the log into a compressed tar file and deletes that subset from the
> log (and vice versa) --- but _don't_ want various arch commands to
> implicitly look at those compressed logs -- yeah, that's probably a
> nice convenience command for the 1.2 series.

My (vague) thought was that it would be nice if `browsing' commands
could see them in some fashion, perhaps with the addition of a special
option, but that they would be invisible for calculation purposes
(`missing', `replay', etc).

E.g., `cat-log' could be be used to print an old log out, and
`logs --old' to include them in an output list.

The requirement for --old with `logs' is for several reasons:

 (1) if these patch-logs are ignored by calculation commands, it seems
     best to not list them as being present by default.

 (2) you might _want_ the brevity of output afforded by decommissioning
     old patch-logs (in the case where you happen to be using a very
     long-lived branch)

-Miles
--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!