Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch-log sizes

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch-log sizes
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:51:08 -0500

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 12:14:10PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
>   ~ tla compress-logs [-u] [namespace-region]
>   ~ tla compressed-logs
>
> Perhaps also in the various places where libarch/patch-logs.c uses
> safe_access to check for the existence of some part of a log, that can
> be abstracted to log_access which does the same thing but additionally
> prints a warning (perhaps even auto-uncompresses?) if the region of
> the patch log in question is missing but is or might be there among
> the compressed logs.

Are you thinking that the `compressed logs' should be still able to be used
for merging, etc?  That seems more difficult to me... as I wrote in another
message, I'd be very happy with `browse only' old logs -- if you really wanted
to do some merging with a years-old branch, you could just unpack the logs
using whatever handy commands there are, and otherwise it would be the same
as if you had deleted the logs entirely (which seems to be considered a safe
operation, if you don't need them for merging, and don't care about history).

If the old logs _are_ `browse only', then maybe the term `compressed' is
slightly misleading -- it implies to me that the storage format is changed,
but not the semantics.  In this case, I think a term like `decommission'
would be better; it makes clear that they're not going to be used in normal
circumstances, but are still somehow present.

-miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff