[Gnu-arch-users] candidate1 configure problems

From: John Goerzen
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] candidate1 configure problems
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:29:05 -0600

Hi,

[ Sorry for not filing bug reports, but Savannah is down. ]

There are several problems with configure in the candidate1.

The first relates to diff and diff3.  I have seen this behavior on both
MacOSX and AIX.  The system complains about newline problems.  I
download the latest diffutils from GNU and install in /usr/local.  I
first tried ../configure --gnu-diff=/usr/local/bin/diff (the error
message *said* to use gnu-diff).  No work.  Turns out I have to use
--with-gnu-diff, although ../configure --help does not show that.  But
even when I do that, it STILL complains.  Finally copying the new
versions over the system's default -- or adjusting the PATH to give them
priority -- fixes the problem.

Secondly, for some reason, on AIX the libneon configuration insists on
using "cc" (I think the master configuration is telling it to).  cc does
not exist on the system, gcc does.  I tried using CC=gcc ../configure,
but it ignored that.  It fails real fast complaining that the compiler
can't generate executables.  Finally I had to symlink cc to gcc.

Third, libm does not exist on AIX.  Yet:

cc -I/home/jgoerzen/programs/tla-1.1-candiate0/src/=build/config-include
-I/home/jgoerzen/programs/tla-1.1-candiate0/src/=build
-I/home/jgoerzen/programs/tla-1.1-candiate0/src -g  -o unidata-generate
unidata-generate.o
/home/jgoerzen/programs/tla-1.1-candiate0/src/=build/hackerlab/libboot/libboot.a
-lm
collect2: Library libm not found
gmake[2]: *** [unidata-generate] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/jgoerzen/programs/tla-1.1-candiate0/src/=build/hackerlab/unidata-scaffolding'
gmake[1]: *** [all] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/jgoerzen/programs/tla-1.1-candiate0/src/=build/hackerlab'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

On AIX, replacing this with -lbsd fixes the problem.  This also occurs
for:

xml-scaffolding
tests/bugs-tests
tests/mem-tests