Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch-log sizes

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch-log sizes
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:20:37 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

    > On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 12:14:10PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
    > >   ~ tla compress-logs [-u] [namespace-region]
    > >   ~ tla compressed-logs

    > > Perhaps also in the various places where libarch/patch-logs.c uses
    > > safe_access to check for the existence of some part of a log, that can
    > > be abstracted to log_access which does the same thing but additionally
    > > prints a warning (perhaps even auto-uncompresses?) if the region of
    > > the patch log in question is missing but is or might be there among
    > > the compressed logs.

    > Are you thinking that the `compressed logs' should be still able to be
used
    > for merging, etc?

I'm thinking that it would not be impossible to do so -- not that I'm
certain it's a good idea.

The logs-as-meta-info uses could be captured pretty simply, as I said,
by beefing up libarch/patch-logs.c.   The logs-as-files would require
a tiny bit of work in {make,apply}-changeset.c.

    > That seems more difficult to me...

But tractable.  I only wanted to put the idea on the table -- not to
endorse it.

In contrast, an otherwise orthogonal (not interacting with merging or
patching) compresse{d,}-logs seems unambiguously harmless to me.
Useful even, to make a standard way to do a simple and useful
transform on patch-logs.

    > as I wrote in another message, I'd be very happy with `browse
    > only' old logs --

There's no essential difference between "browsing" (as in `tla logs')
and "influencing merging".  Logs which are browsable (without using
special commands) are also going to influence merge operators -- and
if we go that far -- then we might as well bite the bullet and deal
with them in changesets as well.